Welcome to PNW-SETAC!
You are cordially invited to join us at the 26th PNW-SETAC Annual Conference being held April 20-22, 2017 in Anchorage, AK. The meeting theme is:
Northern Exposures: Contaminants, Science, and Toxicology
PNW-SETAC is the Pacific Northwest regional Chapter of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry - North America (SETAC NA).
It encompasses the largest geographical area within SETAC and includes Alaska, Washington, Idaho, and Oregon, as well as British Columbia, Canada.
There are approximately 250 members in the Chapter, of which 20% are Canadian. Our membership, therefore reflects a diversity of transboundary perspectives on environmental and toxicological issues, providing unique and creative approaches to address environmental challenges that benefits our Chapter. We have an additional 100 toxicologists and scientists in the region that have signed up to be on our email list.
In actual numbers, more than a third (35%) of our members work in the business and industry sector, with another 13% in government, and 10% in academia. Although our members in academia comprise the numerically smallest group, they are very active and are particularly adept at recruiting student members (40%) to participate in Chapter activities.
Our activities include:
- Holding an annual conference for scientists to present their research on topics of regional interest and relevance
- Promoting student research through presentations and poster sessions at the conference and by providing student travel awards to attend regional and national conferences
- Organizing and holding workshops and short courses on topics of significant emerging interest
- Providing support to SETAC North America for international conferences held within our region
- Providing professional networking opportunities, resume posting, and employment opportunities